Policymakers have many options to accelerate siting for new generation and transmission needs. First, system operators must manage demand for energy, and take advantage of America’s existing grid. This paper then focuses on the reforms needed to locate, coordinate and expedite any new generation or transmission that the grid system requires. In short, policymakers should:
• Optimize the existing grid infrastructure.
• Fully use available planning processes.
• Employ “Smart from the Start” criteria.
• Improve interagency, federal-state and
• Work with landowners to develop new
options for private lands, including
innovative compensation measures.
• Refine the process to support siting
offshore wind developments.
This paper provides detailed recommendations for how to accomplish these goals.